Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why New Orleans? This is why!

Some people have asked, "Why do you want to live in that awful underwater city?" Well the city of New Orleans is in fact not under water, though it does have its issues. We live here because its is where God has led us. God has taught us and developed us so much this past year and a half, while always providing for us and blessing us. There is so much pain in this city and not enough people to help soothe the pain. I was working at Pita Pit Sunday night when a gentleman walked in wanting to know where the closest bar was. My Co-worker and I told him about St. Joe's bar about a block down the road. As he was walking out the door he turned around and this is the conversation
Man: "what can i get with 2 dollars?",
Pita Pit: 6 cookies we told him,
Man: "ok I'll take those cookies, and an Ambulance".
Matt: Ok (picks up phone), are you feeling sick?
Man: "Man I've been off my meds for a while, i need an ambulance to take me to River Oaks Hospital."
Matt: Ok (dials 911)
911: What your emergency?
Matt: Hi, I'm at Pita Pit, 5800 Magazine and I have a man here who says he has been off his meds for a while and needs transportation to River Oaks.
911:Has he hurt anyone?
Matt: not that i know of.
911:we cant help you unless he has been in a fight of hurt someone
Matt: he is asking for help
911: Sorry, please call back if he gets in a fight or hurts someone...CLICK
Matt: 911 just hung up on me!
Co-worker: I'll call them (calls 911)

20 minutes later after dispatcher talks to Man, Co-worker, and I they agree to send out a Police officer. This city need people who care about other people, not people who are "just doing their job". Sarah and I want to help people, we pray God will lead us in this.


No comments: