Monday, October 27, 2008

I saved my baby.....Sidewalks of NOLA.....19 of 24...Saved the Baby again...

So you know girls, always trying to be a damsel in distress waiting for a hero...Well my sweet Emma is not immune to my off-guided stereotype (and joke)...Friday after getting off work at Earth Search (ESI) I got Emma out of the car to walk to our apartment...Well I had not seen her yet because Sarah had picked me up from work (a whole nother story) and i was in the front and Emma was in the back sleeping...So I decide to walk down the sidewalk holding the car seat in front of my face so we could smile and coo and each other....Well next thing i know we are falling towards the cement sidewalk and guess who needed to be saved....Emma....So i hastened to put her car seat down in a safe place and i continued to fall to the sidewalk (it was like a slow motion Matrix scene)..Emma was saved (Mommy ran and comforted her for me) and daddy was laying on the ground feeling very happy Emma was saved...and very pain stricken (PSSS...I may have cried)...Well in the end i made it up to our bed and assessed the damage...One bloody elbow..CHECK....One bloody knee....CHECK....Scrape on my side...Check....All other systems a go...Current Time 4:20pm...Time for a nap before work at 9pm.....Beep Beep at 6pm....Text from my Pita Pit Boss.."can you come in right now, we have a Bookoo (big) delivery order"....Get dressed real quick go to work....Work until 5am...Total 24 hr work total 19 (8pm-4pm ESI, 6pm-5am). Recheck of injuries....Huge bruise on side....CHECK...scrape on elbow CHECK....knee swollen to the size of a baseball....CHECK...all other systems a go.

Small note on the Pita Pit work Schedule this past weekend...Friday 6pm-5am (11hrs), Saturday 7pm-5am (10 hrs)..Sunday 6pm-1am (7 hrs)...Grand total of 28 hrs worked....

On to saving Emma again...Today (Monday) my poor, sweet, awesome, hardworking Sarah went to put laundry in the washer (outside) and the wind blew the door closed. Sarah was in her robe and had no key to get in....Emma's location..laying on the boppy on our bed...Ut Oh...So Sarah calls me (from our wonderful neighbor's phone) up at Earth Search and runs the situation by me.
  • She took me to work so i had no car to return home
  • The baby is inside on the bed
  • She wants to know if she should break the front window to get in
  • She was amazingly calm
I rack my mind to think of a "mattish" solution (something inventive and/or creative) to this situation and i came up with nothing. So i ran down stairs to my friend Katie...quickly told the story...and she threw me keys to a company car...ZOOM..ZOOM...Home in record time....Open the front door to find that the door to Emma's room is locked so we can not get past the living room to get to Emma...So i run down the stairs (remember my knee that hurt...I did not feel it...Welcome to being a Dad)...Enter the ally that goes to the back door and hear my Emma wailing...SO I RAN FASTER (still not feeling my knee)...I get to the back door and my key is not working fast enough so with my Dadish Adrenalin i kick in the door... run to Emma who is still wailing....Time til she stopped wailing and began to laugh at her parents... 3 seconds (whats wrong with you guys?? Lets play!)

Atleast I have tonight off from the Pita Pit :c)

Be sure to check out Sarah's Account of the excitement

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Whew! What a great dad you are!

Holly B said...

the whole kicking-the-door-in part sounds really amazing. did it take just ONE kick??

Matt Parks said...

One kick that is all...I think I know how people lift cars by themselves in emergencies